Best Mobile Applications for Writers
The share of people surfing the web from mobile is constantly growing. So do writers. A modern writer is not a pen wizard who’s sitting at the same place all the time but an active person engaged in many daily. Up-to-date men of letters do need convenient tools to timely write-down thoughts, observations, and ideas.
Almost all of us use applications for reading like those by this URL. Well, after reading the paper, I bet you’ll complement your collection with at least one of the apps for writing below.
Platforms: OS X, Windows, iOS, Android, Windows Phone
Evernote is a great application for keeping notes accessible from any device and available at any time. Ideas came unexpectedly, so having Evernote installed on your devices, you are guaranteed to keep all the fine that your mind suddenly stumbled upon.
Actually, the app is a notepad. But the notepad is very convenient. It has a few advantages:
- Sync – the ability to work from any device that has Evernote installed (data is stored on the server). You can write whenever you want and stop as you need without losing the idea.
- Simple Note Taking. Just click on the plus button and start taking notes down. Nothing can be simpler, can’t it? Notes can be organized in sections.
- Labeling for Easy Search. It makes it easier to search previous notes through tags. Well, you can even search handwritten notes saved as images. For example, the standard scenario of use is a culinary book, where each note is a dish, and each dish is tagged like "first course," "meat", "Italian food," etc. Subsequently, you can select and view only the needed dishes using the correspondent tags. The same thing with writing – you can use tags to view citations, excerpts, etc.
- Audio support.
- Google Drive support. Nothing can be simpler than adding doc files as links or attachments without switching apps.
- Easy sharing by posting notes on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.
Platforms: Mac, iPad, iPhone
Price: $44.99 for Mac, $24.99 for iPad/iPhone
Although for a long time, Ulysses has been available for PC users only, finally, the mobile version was released! It provides great functionality, including a convenient catalog system, goals, Markdown, and a few more helpful features.
From novices to professional essay writers, almost every author will find Ulysses relevant to his lifestyle. It has a well-though, intuitive, and very convenient interface, as well as supports iCloud and Markdown. Ulysses makes it easy to divide texts into separate blocks, highlight them, and even put tags where necessary.
Well, consistent writing is sometimes more about the research. Any writer needs talent, but to be able to create grounded articles, one also has to strengthen the information with historical data, relevant images, quotes, etc.
And here Scrivener comes into play! Probably, it’s the best one out of the applications that combine a text editor and a managing system.
The main advantages are:
- Convenient search for information, including images, PDF documents, music, video, etc.
- Ability to open two documents side-by-side. A very convenient option to make descriptions.
- Full-screen mode to fully concentrate on writing.
- Note board to attach ideas to correspondent parts of the text.
Scrivener is a must-have for all those who love writing and don’t want to lose any single thought.
Platforms: OS X, Windows, iOS, Android, Windows Phone
Dropbox is cloud storage, which lets you create backup files in case of loss or damage to the computer on which the files were stored. The operation principle is as easy as pie: you install the program and select the folder on your computer, thereby synchronizing everything in the folder with Dropbox servers.
Dropbox allows you to sync the contents of the folder not only with the server but also with other computers that are connected to the same account. It’s very convenient if you’re working on a few devices. No flash needed.
The advantage of Dropbox is that it’s just a folder on your computer, which means that all data remain with you, even if there is no Internet. Even if you are flying in an airplane, you can make changes to the files, and they’ll by uploaded to the server once the Internet appears.
Why do I use Dropbox?
- All files that I work on are in the Dropbox folder. By this, I know that my papers will never be lost.
- I re-read previously written articles using my tablet or mobile phone when I have time. For example, just before going to bed.
- I can quickly share information with colleagues who have shared folders.
- With Dropbox, I can easily send a link to the file to any user. I don’t need to upload data to file exchangers or write messages on social networks.
P.S. Dropbox still provides the largest amount of free disk space and works faster, but the difference with Google Drive is not critical since text files do not take up much space and do not require ultra-fast loading speed.
The routine of a writer is not just writing stories, but also constant reading. To be on a crest of a wave, writers have to be aware of what is happening around them. If you do not want to look through dozens of websites every morning but want to be informed of the updates – this tool is just for you!
From time to time, publishing houses announce meetings and invite to participate. But does it mean you have to constantly visit the website to check whether the announcement appeared? Of course, no, especially if you have Feedly installed!
Feedly is an app that will report on the new publication, as soon as it appears. Even if you forget to browse the website. The interface greatly resembles the tape of a social network. You’ll never miss an important update since it will be waiting for you unless you mark it as read.
Feedly is one of the best applications to keep track of important updates on the web.